27 May, 2006

The reservation issue has created a problem. Something written on the agitations in Kashmir against the porn issue is very relevant to the problem. The protests are increasingly political and do not reflect the real issue. Besides the cudgels taken by the Medicos, the way the dialogue is turning out is worrisome.

Popular symbols being utilised are sweeping roads, polishing shoes while the pro groups among other things are talking about the Brahmanvaad and Manuvad. They are mentioning ages of suppression something akin to colonialism. I have consciously stayed away from anything to do with reservation except saying I am against it.

The walls that have come up are not going down consequently. The new generation was supossed to have besides the years of national struggle for independence forgotten the divides of castes. We have not caught up with America which only worships money power. Job opportunities, education, inter caste marriages atleast at the urban front was seemingly breaking this divide. This is relevant as the debate now is solely focussing on a narrow aspect of the caste problem. Higher education will not be able to break the mindset which is accumulated in childhood and through the early years of education and day to day life.

Besides the disadvantages of castes which leads to deprivation of better standards in all aspects of life, disadvantes due to the rural-urban divide, small city- big city, upper class-middle class and lower middle class are almost same. Elitism is not the monopoly of the non dalits. Upward mobility is the aspiration of all. Who rises creates competition, jealousy and sense of wrong among all Jones and Jonnesses. Emotion and the broad dividends will only blur the core problem.

I cannot believe myself when I see the apparent hep, jhola carrying, pony sporting, the ELITE college and all who have acquired and created such styles, shouting for the reservation implementation and talking about historical wrongs. What about sneering at the behen jiS and the Hindi speaking toli. Ok I am making this bit dramatic, but people who have been promoting and sustaining all other kinds of divide especially when they belong to the Brahmanvadi category cannot do this. No I refuse to be called an upper class opportunist by them. And I hate to be flirted by my dalit colleagues who just abused my caste affiliations.

I was eating in a canteen the other day. What I saw completely ashamed me. I have seen three four kids belonging to some labourers working nearby. For long they have been standing outside and watching people eating inside. This time the oldest amongst them walked in smiling queerly, and then as he looked wickedly at people watching him, he ate from the leftovers in the plates on the table. I did not do anything except stop visiting the place all together.

This is for all the people for or against reservation. Lets look to apply solutions where it matters. Rang De Basanti, Fanaa and Vendetta are farts. I can't sermonize. Because I have taken the escapist route. This is not the seventies when India was freshly rebelling. The leftist romanticism has met its natural end. Right now initiative is the key.

Thats what I believe atleast.

No comments: