31 January, 2007

Wind in my hair, dusty shoes, dripping dupatta, clenched fingers and feet with a mind of their own. Am I alone or it is just my mind playing tricks? It is silent around just as it is after a sudden unwarranted shower. My steps synchronized to the last breath of the rains dance to many a tune in my head…. ‘When the night has come and the dark has come n the moon is the only light we will see……..darling darling stand by me………’

I see scraps of days gone by lingering everywhere. Peals of laughter (dusting under the rocks overgrown with foliage) years ago at a maddening drunken birthday party, handprints half washed by time on a particular tree, empty newly painted pavements where a group of youngsters pained through readings, heartbreaks, anticipation and hatred, red flowers like the ones someone bravely plucked off the thorny branch for a beautiful girl. There must be more treasures of memories somewhere around. If only I had something to dig them out.

Parallel realities! Missed chances, spurned lovers, broken friendships, unexplored chances and some naughty fantasies. They form a halo around as I jump a puddle, kick a bottle and stumble over an angular stone. ‘Wasted days and wasted nights, I have left for you behind, for you don’t belong to me….belong to someone else..’ But so it is

I took a moment off to stand still and smile at the thoughts along the memory lane. But so it is. One of the many unsung and wasted cigarette stubs must be mine and ours. ‘I can’t take my eyes of you, I can’t take my eyes of you…..I can’t take my mind of you, I can’t take my mind of you and so it is’ Let it be

It is time to turn back as there is time to go back home as there is time to return as there is time to gather the treasures and horde them away for another day. Mine has many dead butterflies. As beautiful when they had life and were full of promises. Their wings have crumbled at the edges. Maybe when it rains again and I open my trove they will be but a bit of coloured ashes. ‘I had to wake you to say goodbye……I don’t know if I will be back again’

No comments: